Monday, September 7, 2015

Oh, Say Can You See Twins?


There was a lot to like in Minneapolis, and a lot to like about Target Field. Unfortunately, although we had really good seats - they were 12 rows behind the Twins dugout - we can't tell you we really enjoyed the game. That's because we missed so much of it because of vendors who refused get out of fans' way.

We started our Minneapolis tour at the Mall of America. According to some locals we talked to, they avoid the mall at all cost. However, we wanted to see the red chair and the site of the former stadium, Metropolitan Stadium, which stood on the site the mall now stands on. The red chair marks the sport of Killebrew's home 520 foot home run at the original park in 1967.




 If you go over near the Sponge Bob area you, will find a commemorative home plate plaque. I'm sure thousands of shoppers walk right over it not realizing what it is.
We walked a lot in Minneapolis. I would almost swear it was 15 miles, but my Fitbit insists it was around six. It is a beautiful city with many outdoor restaurants. Be sure to check out the Skywalk if you visit. We had some suggestions for places to eat but decided on Ike's, which was on our walk to the park. We have some Wisconsin friends that insisted we needed to try cheese curds. We asked if they would be the same in Minnesota. They said they doubted it, but we ordered some at Ike's. The food was pretty good, even the cheese curds. We sat outside and watched the crowd heading to the stadium. 

Harmon Killebrew



The kinetic wall is pretty awesome. 




Kirby Puckett

I think there are also statues for Carew and Olivia, but I forgot to look for them!

This huge glove is in honor of Jim Kaat, who won eleven Gold Gloves while playing for the Twins. It isn't a coincidence that it sits 520 feet from home plate. 


This is a nice tribute to all players. Pendants list the entire rosters for each year. 




Watch this board representing the Twin Cities. A home run results in flashing lights around the board. 

 Batting practice.
 This is one of my favorite scoreboards. It is huge! It is so clear you would think you are watching your tv at home.
We like to walk to the top of the stadium for a picture and I am so glad we did. The skyline is beautiful, and we would not have seen it from our seats.

Full moon over Minneapolis.

You know I like a great mascot, and sadly I did not see one here.

One thing I will not post pictures of (and I must have at least 25 of them), and the one thing that would keep me from returning to Target Field, is the vendors. They were literally in front of us constantly. They had no park etiquette at all. They came down to the front and held up their wares during play, blocking our view for most of the first five innings. As a result, fans would stand up to pay, creating an even worse blocked view for us. After hearing me complain nonstop, Randy sought  out help at customer relations. Let's just say, we are now on first name basis with the manager of customer service. 

I understand that there are vendors in all ballparks. And I also know that the vendors at Target Field didn't block everybody's view, but they blocked Randy's and mine. And I counted at least 20 people in our small section that were in the same sight line we were in. And they were all over the stadium doing the same thing. It was ridiculous. 

Thumbs up
Scoreboard
Stadium
Friendliness of the locals
Scorecards were $2
Fan interaction was just enough

Thumbs Down
Vendors and fans blocking view during play
Food was basic stadium fare-they did have a refrigerated section labeled vegetarian
Mascot
Atmosphere outside the stadium

We had a great time in Minneapolis, but I won't be returning to the stadium anytime soon. For my money, I will go to a park where I can see the game!




No comments:

Post a Comment