Sunday, April 10, 2016

Two for Texas

We are starting our 2016 ballpark tour with the two stadiums in Texas. We love taking family members with us on our baseball trips, and in Texas we will meet up with Randy's daughter, Kelli, who lives in Dallas. Our plan is to fly to Dallas, drive to Arlington and see the Rangers play my Orioles. The next day we will drive to Houston and see a game. After the two Texas games, we will have gone to games with all four of our children and my sister- and brother-in-law.

I have never been to Texas, so I don't know what to expect. As a vegetarian I somewhat expect to go hungry! I've researched ballpark food, and it seems there is a lot of BBQ and Tex-Mex. I will let  you know if I find any vegetarian options. I did hear that they have a three-pound pretzel (repeat of the one in Detroit?)  at Arlington, and I totally expect to try it, even though it has a reportedly 3,700 calories! Yikes!




We missed Opening Day due to work commitments, so this will be our first games of the season. We chose Texas before it gets too hot and because we don't want to freeze like we did at the beginning of the season two years ago in Cleveland.

In Arlington, I'm looking forward to the Cotton Eyed Joe at the end of the 7th-inning stretch and seeing what the heck the claw-and-antler actually is. We will also visit the Hall of Fame at the park, look for the Nolan Ryan statue and, of course, find superfan Cowboy Wayne. I'm rusty on my scorekeeping skills and will spend a night or two refreshing my memory on that.

Randy, practice these moves!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32TUDaJAYTg

Arlington is also home to the Bowling Hall of Fame. Should we fit that in the schedule?
http://www.bowlingmuseum.com/

In Houston, we will look for the statues of Jeff Bagwell and Craig Biggio. Since I love those big screens, I'm excited to see one of the largest ones in an MLB park. Food looks iffy at this park, too, but you never know until you get there.






3 comments: