Sunday, August 27, 2017

The Trop


August 22 and 23
(Penny's Perspective)

We weren't expecting a lot from the Trop since it is at the bottom of most rankings of MLB parks.  I was particularly dreading it, because I was afraid I would feel the need to bring a "Free the Stingrays" sign. Yes, the tank was as small as I dreaded and they actually allow people to reach in and touch them. We avoided this area but did take a picture from above. And yes, it smells!







We had great seats! We sat in the same ones both nights we were there.





The gold seat signifies Wade Bogg's 3,000th hit in 1999. Although he was known as a singles and doubles hitter, his 3,000th hit was homer. He also earlier had hit the Devil Rays' first home run in franchise history. .








You can't see the #98 on this shirt but it signifies the first year the team joined the league. This big plastic guy is coming out of the wall above the first level concourse.



I really enjoyed the Ted Williams Museum, but not because of Ted Williams. The exhibits were really interesting! I especially enjoyed the League of their Own display and the entire section devoted to the Negro leagues. Oddly enough, Ted Williams did not play in Tampa Bay. He did retire there but apparently was a local hero. Of course, I had to take a picture of Cal Ripkin's display in the Hitters Hall of Fame, since I am an Orioles fan.







                                                                                                                                                                     A rarity in ballparks, salad! This one was especially good at Ducky's. The guy behind the counter told me there are only four ballparks that sell salad.





Al Lang Field, a staple in the Florida training camp world, is about a mile or so from the stadium. It is now the home of soccer's Tampa Bay Rowdies.





We couldn't visit Florida without a trip to the beach! This beautiful shot is at Treasure Island.



You can find Raymond at the entry before every game if you get there around 5:30. 


I have found that I have to ask Randy less questions about scoring. I love having my score book as a record of the games we have seen. The man sitting beside me even asked how I scored a play and then replied that was he thought that was the appropriate way to score the play, too. Now, if I could just figure out to recognize and correctly score a fielder's choice, I'd feel I was making even more progress. I always mess that one up!


We also enjoyed staying at the Cordova Inn. It is the oldest hotel in St. Pete and more like a bed and breakfast. The rooms are super small and I think the bathroom was a closet but I liked the atmosphere, the staff and the big porch to sit on.






Thumbs Up:

  • The Dome and AC!
  • Easy to get to location and parking.
  • Free programs.
  • Salad!
  • Vendors were around frequently but didn't really get in the way.
  • Plenty of help and very friendly staff. Well, except for one security guy the second night. Evidently, he hates his job. 
  • We were overloaded with canned noise, but there was just the right amount of information on the scoreboard. We also weren't bombarded with people in the audience playing games.
  • I liked that the mascot was visible before and during the game. 
  • I wouldn't really give the scoreboard a thumbs up, but it wasn't a thumbs down either. It was adequate. 
  • I was amazed by the D.J. that was a cat. Randy will explain that in his blog.


Thumbs Down:

  • The stadium is hard to get around. The layout is just plain difficult. You cannot walk around the entire stadium on any concourse. You have to maneuver steps and walk in the seating area to get to parts. I suspect this is part of the reason it falls at the bottom of almost every ranking.
  • The crowd is very quiet and sparse.
  • That stupid stingray tank. Free the stingrays!!!
  • The catwalks above the playing field were somewhat of a distraction and I'm not sure what purpose they served.
  • There is no outside entertainment at all. 
  • I enjoyed the museum, but if we hadn't know it was there we would have missed it. If you go, it is up the stairs across from the stingray tank. 
We enjoyed two really good games - with a lot of home runs - at the Trop!



No comments:

Post a Comment