Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Vegan friendly Philly

(By Penny)

After we left Baltimore we headed to Philadelphia. We had a planned stop in Alberdeen, Maryland, at the Cal Ripken sports complex. Check out Randy's post about our visit. Getting to Citizen's Bank Park was pretty easy. The location is right off the highway and there was plenty of parking. It was a lot like Milwaukee, away from the city and featuring tailgating in the parking lot.

We ate at Harry the K's Porch. The soft pretzel seems to be the appetizer to get, and they even had a veggie burger that was decent. If you are lucky, you might get a seat where you can look down on to the field. Harry Kalas was a Philadelphia broadcaster from 1971-2009 when he died in the press box at Nationals Park.


 Randy does a great job picking out seats!

We like to go up to the top for a few pictures.

I am getting serious about learning the details of this game. I picked up a $5 program and pencil and decided to learn to score the game. This seemed pretty daunting at the beginning. I had to ask Randy a million questions, but I started to get the hand of it. I've even practiced a few times watching games on TV. When they say baseball is a smart man's game, I get what they mean!

Thumbs up
Easy to get to and plenty of parking
Vegetarian options are available - last time I looked at PETA, Citizen's Park was voted the most vegan-friendly ballpark. (http://www.peta.org/blog/top-10-vegetarian-friendly-major-league-ballparks-2013/)
Scoreboard
Atmosphere outside the park

Thumbs down
I know the Phanatic is a big deal and I even watched some You Tube videos before we went, but he was not on fire. Maybe it was the heat, but it was a big disappointment!
$5 programs
Crowd enthusiasm - again; it was really hot and a day game, so I'll let them off the hook on this one.



No comments:

Post a Comment