Saturday, August 16, 2014

West Virginia Power

(From Penny)

We have been meaning to get to Charleston, West Virginia (it's only 70 miles from us) to see a MiLB game for so long, I didn't think we were going to get to it. I looked at the schedule and realized that if we were going to get there, we only had two dates to choose from. So on a recent Thursday night we took off for a short road trip.

West Virginia Power is Class A  affiliate of the Pittsburgh Pirates. Appalachian Power Park opened in 2005 and seats 4,500 people. If you are interested, a brief history can be found at http://www.milb.com/content/page.jsp?ymd=20090206&content_id=40993740&sid=t525&vkey=team1


It reminded me of a mini Camden Yards. Can't you see Eutaw, the walking street beyond the right field wall, when you see this shot? There are also warehouses around the stadium that add to that feel. I know it is a stretch, but I was surprised the park was as nice as it was. As is the case with many Class A teams, it is pretty tiny.


We ate at the stadium, because we didn't have time to get there after work and eat out, too. I was pleasantly surprised to find a stand selling fresh veggies and veggie burgers. Go Charleston! It was Thirsty Thursday and beer was a buck, which was a nice treat.

Randy and my son, Derek, enjoying the game. It doesn't look crowded, but the stadium did fill up closer to game time.
This is the hardest working mascot I have seen in a while. He was busy the entire game - and it was HOT!

I didn't practice scoring this game since Derek was only in town for a couple of hours. But I plan to get right back at it next game!



No comments:

Post a Comment