Saturday, April 5, 2014

Chicago, Chicago, My kind of town...

I've been to Chicago lots of times and I love the city. One of the most memorable trips was going to see my son's PIR almost six years ago when he joined the Navy. That was an experience I will never forget. My pride and love for my son and country were overwhelming. I've had lots of experiences in the Windy City. An unforgettable bus trip with my sister when a nice stranger told us we should really get off the bus, the south side of Chicago was no place for tourists. Then he got off the bus with us, waited for the correct bus, and gave the driver instructions to look out for us. Then there was the time I got food poisoning, and it hit me in the restaurant of the John Hancock building. It was a long elevator ride down for sure.


In 2010, I went to a conference with my friends Judy, Christie, and Michelle. The three of us made a trip to Wrigley Field. We saw the Cubs play the Braves. My boyfriend at the time (now my husband and fellow ballpark chaser) was so excited. He kept talking about what an iconic place Wrigley is. To hear him talk, I was about to have the experience of a lifetime. I admit, I got pretty excited about it. I mean, Wrigley is….well, it's baseball! The ride over on the El was fun. There were lots of fans and it was easy to get caught up in the excitement. But I was expecting a park like Camden Yards (the only MLB park I had been to).


Maybe it was the seats. We were on the top row of the upper deck. I'm not sure what caused it, but I was ….disappointed. I wanted a Jumbotron! I wanted a huge scoreboard! I wanted…Camden Yards! As I was texting these thoughts to Randy, I got replies like; "It's Wrigley! Do you know how lucky you are?"


"But, Randy, it's so old!"


"It's Wrigley, it's supposed to be old, look at the ivy!"


"There's no big scoreboard, and the seats are really old."


Anyway, you get the idea. I was not impressed. I'm looking forward to seeing if my experiences as a ballpark chaser will change the way I see Wrigley. I am really excited for Randy to get to see Wrigley. I'm anxious to see if he feels the same way about it after he sees it. Stay tuned….

No comments:

Post a Comment