Saturday, April 5, 2014

St. Louis Game 6








We decided to go to St. Louis next, because I needed to take some furniture to my daughter in Evansville, Indiana. While there we drove by to see Bosse Field. The neighborhood is right on the park, and the neighbors were sitting on their porches listening to the game. It just happened that the team, the Otters, was at home, and the game was in the bottom of the seventh. We went in to take a look, and let me just say how excited Randy was about this! It was a very retro (makes sense since it is the third oldest stadium in the US).  I don't use the word retro lightly here. The Otter girls were dressed in what I guess you would call period costume, as were the vendors. You won't believe this, but there were two Lazy Boy recliners! I'm not sure how you get it sit in those, but it certainly was different. Unfortunately, the Otters lost 13-0. It really was like a step back in time. It seemed like it was something the entire neighborhood got into on a Friday night!


The drive over to St. Louis was a three hour trip from Evansville. We had planned to see more of the city, but a thunder storm kept us at the Budweiser tour longer than we thought. This is definitely something worth seeing if you are there. The tour is about an hour and a half long, so plan accordingly for it. Since there was a huge thunderstorm complete with really close lightening, we were delayed on the tour about an hour. While waiting for the storm to pass, we decided to look for a place to eat using my favorite app, Happy Cow. We lucked out finding something a half mile from the Bud plant. Marc (future son-in-law) found Shameless Grounds. The name didn't dawn on anyone as being something we should think about. Randy said he decided shortly after entering that the place was different, but it took me a while longer. I did think it was odd to offer a basket of free condoms and lube, but what the heck, we were in the city after all! After a trip to the restroom and having a few minutes to take in the atmosphere, it was clear this was not a family-oriented sandwich shop. But we're pretty open minded and felt comfortable there, so we decided to check out what the food was like. We all had a great meal, but before recommending it, I would suggest taking Randy' advice. Be warned, it is not a place for little kids or those who may be uncomfortable with sexuality openly displayed.


I really liked the feel of the St. Louis stadium. It was Pooches in the Park night, which I loved! Plus, those free pet feeding mats came in really handy when the seats were wet! Randy and I volunteer with dog rescue, so it was really cool to see the dogs on the scoreboard with Cardinal players who were up for adoption.








I really enjoy talking to those around us, and we met Dan, who is a fellow ballpark chaser. This was his home field, and we enjoyed spending time talking with him. I had decided to try listening to the gamer on mlb.com so I could get a better handle on what is going on. Since my daughter was there, and I was talking to her, I gave up on that idea for another time. I liked the stadium, even our bleacher seats. Rachel said the last time she and Marc were there they were so far up she could reach out and touch the arch. Quiet an exaggeration, but from walking up to the top I can see what she was talking about. Despite an hour rain delay, it was a great night in St. Louis.












Thumbs up


Stadium


Scoreboard


Crowd enthusiasm


Vendor


Helpful staff


Promotion


Parking






Thumbs down


Outside the park entertainment


$5 programs








No comments:

Post a Comment