Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Jackie Robinson Day



“Life is not a spectator sport. If you''re going to spend your whole life in the grandstand just watching what goes on, in my opinion you're wasting your life.” -- Jackie Robinson




It's Jackie Robinson Day! Years ago, when I was teaching fifth- and sixth-grade classes, I always taught a unit on Jackie Robinson. We read biographical information, did math with baseball cards and brought in all of our baseball collectibles. The kids would always be excited to have our high school team come and play ball with them. Of course, those were the days we could bring things like Cracker Jacks and popcorn to school! Each year, it was one of my favorite units. I remember talking to a student's father, and he said he didn't know if his daughter was reading better, but she sure knew a lot about baseball!






I was always touched reading about Jackie Robinson. He was such a good role model for my students, offering lessons about character, dedication, persistence and dealing with adversity.

You might want to check out 42 Facts about Jackie Robinson:
http://mentalfloss.com/article/50059/42-facts-about-jackie-robinson


or this short video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX3tv9uKj1I

Thanks Jackie, for breaking barriers in baseball and teaching life lessons to me and my students!


No comments:

Post a Comment